how to overwinter calla lilies in pots

... Before the first frost empty out the pot and remove as much of the compost from the rhizome without damaging it. Ames, IA 50011-2031 In cold climates, overwinter the calla lily plant container indoors to keep it blooming year-round. Their rhizomes must be dug up in fall and stored indoors over the winter months. The calla lily grows to 2 feet tall and can be grown in plant containers, and there are also miniature calla lily varieties that you can keep. Light: The calla lily flower requires part shade (full sun in cooler climates). Dry the rhizomes in a warm, dry location for 1 to 2 weeks. After drying, bury the rhizomes in vermiculite, sawdust, or peat moss. /* BCGRside */ How can I over-winter my geraniums indoors? A password will be sent to your email address. Do not cut or injure the rhizomes. google_ad_client = "ca-pub-2993162440861364"; This will allow your calla lily flower to rest and come back with better blooms in the next growing season (it may not even bloom in its first year). Stop fertilizing once the calla lily plant has bloomed. Propagation: Grow the calla lily plant from bulbs. Info: Provide the best care for your calla lily by keeping it in well-draining, loose potting soil, and add coffee grounds to the calla lily’s plant container to make the soil more acidic. If the foliage has dark tips, you may be adding too much fertilizer. are tender perennials. Copyright © 2020ISU Extension and Outreach How do I over-winter calla lilies indoors? Intro: Calla lily flowers, also called trumpet lilies or Lily of the Nile, most often have waxy-white flowers that gracefully twist and curl, ending in a delicate point. Fill in the form below and we will be in touch soon, Walton Flats Nursery, Gillibrand Street, Walton-Le-Dale, Preston, Lancashire PR5 4AX Carefully dig up the rhizomes. Before the first frost empty out the pot and remove as much of the compost from the rhizome without damaging it. It is a popular flower for weddings and Easter, and cut calla lily flowers last a long time in floral displays. You can also propagate calla lilies by growing them from seed. are tender perennials. The calla lily flower is susceptible to several diseases, such as rhizome rot, bacterial soft rot, gray mold and some viruses. In this case; before the first frosts watering should be stopped and the pots should be moved to a location where they can be allowed to dry out completely. Temperature: If you live in a cooler climate, such as the Pacific Northwest, you can grow Zantedeschia aethiopica ‘Crowborough,’ which can tolerate cooler (but not cold) temperatures in outside balcony container gardens. google_ad_width = 200; This can be achieved two ways and both methods work equally well. If you do not have space indoors, dig up its bulbs after the plant has died back in the fall and save the bulbs for the next growing season. Misc. Dry the rhizomes in a warm, dry location for 1 to 2 weeks. Fertilizer: Fertilize your calla lily with a bulb fertilizer monthly. I have a miniature rose growing in a pot outdoors on my patio. google_ad_slot = "6102494112"; If you cannot guarantee that the compost in the pots is thoroughly dry please use the next method. //-->, Copyright 2010-2018 BalconyContainerGardening.com, How to Grow and Care for Calla Lilies in Containers. Lifting the rhizome (bulb) from the compost is the alternative option. Carefully dig up the rhizomes. This flower used to be classified in the Calla genus, but that genus has been split up, and the calla lily flower is now in the Zantedeschia genus.

About the author:

You must be logged in to post a comment.