motorcycle starter relay clicks but no crank

Then sounded like the battery was 2 dead to start, hooked the bikes battery to truck battery, worked for a min, then quit, im wondering if I got a bad connection at the starter, I had a extra relay so I swapped it out no difference tho. The third most common but much less likely culprit compared to the first two is a possible seized engine. My plan is to replace everything (switch, relays, module) all the way to the starter itself. Now that we’ve covered the reasons a motorcycle clicks when you try to start it, let’s discuss what causes these problems in the first place. Check carefully the wire ends on the battery cables. 12.4 volts is considered 75% charged, 12.2 is considered 50% charged and so on. The first and most common reason is because of a dead battery. See my article here for more information. Why is the battery this low? Sounds like your battery is a bit low on charge. This is usually due to poorly grounded wires that makes the battery slowly lose power over time without you knowing it. Charging a motorcycle battery can take anywhere between 8 – 20 hours. I am thinking maybe it is the solenoid but not sure? When an engine seizes, the components inside the engine lock up to the point where the crankshaft is unable to turn the bearings. when i press the start button, the starter relay just "clicks" and nothing else. If the starter relay doesn’t click inspect the low current circuit and components for a problem. The exposure to oxygen eventually changes the chemistry of gas which can lead to gum and varnish deposits. Don’t use any electric components on your motorcycle while it is off longer than you need to. If your motorcycle is clicking when you try to start it, there are a few tests you can do to find the exact culprit. I have replaced the starter thinking that was the issue. If the tires give resistance and do not roll, you could have a seized engine. The starter relay is designed to redirect power from the battery to the starter solenoid, which then activates the starter to spin over the engine. A new battery should be giving you at least 14V if not closer to 14.5V. New battery, freshly rebuilt starter and solenoid, replaced relay. If the battery developes higher than normal internal resistance, you get that effect. Wires just get old and tired. A motorcycle starter goes bad usually because of age. I have fought through the same issue with a few different old autos. Arrowolf Member. Pull twist and generally make sure the ends are not corroded or loose. Is the so called bench test the same as a load test of the battery ? It only takes a few mA on a relay coil to close it, but the solenoid has a lot bigger coil that draws more current to move. Wouldn't that at least attempt to turn over the starter? Recently we’ve outlined different ways... Why Won't My Motorcycle Start In The Cold? There’s also a phenomenon called parasitic drain. Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SONG, Aug 7, 2008. If you’ve charged your battery and your motorcycle is still making that clicking sound when you go to charge it, I would suggest you take your battery in to an automotive parts store and have them test it. Can You Jump Start A Motorcycle With A Car? Want to sell Cyclepedia Manuals? A motorcycle isn’t very fun if you can’t get it started. Stay on top of your oil changes and make sure to use the right kind of oil specific to your motorcycle. Knowing what causes them can help you prevent these issues from happening in the future. You mentioned replacing the starter how about the starter solenoid ? Also make sure to connect your battery to a battery tender if it’s going to be a while until your next ride. Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app . It's happened to me once and I can't help but think it'll happen again. Any other suggestions? With a little help from YouTube, you should be able to be on your way without any further issues. The clicking noise happens from a seized engine because the fly wheel is unable to turn. If it's not the battery, please followup with resolution. ). The solenoid is a little magnet and when you turn the key, it shoots out a small gear that the magnet polarizes. Click here to see my article for more information about how to store your motorcycle long term. A forum community dedicated to all Harley-Davidson model owners and enthusiasts. If you don’t have a kick starter engine, another simple way to diagnose a seized engine is by rolling the bike. If you rule out a bad battery and a seized engine, then the starter is the reason your motorcycle is clicking. The contact points inside the relay can get burnt and even though the relay is working to close the high current contacts ( that's the click you're hear), if the contacts are burnt they won't transfer enough voltage to activate the device they are controlling, i.e.,the starter. Informations sur votre appareil et sur votre connexion Internet, y compris votre adresse IP, Navigation et recherche lors de l’utilisation des sites Web et applications Verizon Media. Bike is a 1992 FXRP with 1340cc evo engine. Nos partenaires et nous-mêmes stockerons et/ou utiliserons des informations concernant votre appareil, par l’intermédiaire de cookies et de technologies similaires, afin d’afficher des annonces et des contenus personnalisés, de mesurer les audiences et les contenus, d’obtenir des informations sur les audiences et à des fins de développement de produit. Type of Motorcycle Currently Riding: ... sidestand kill switch i would look at first, that said is it the starter clicking or more a relay type click? Here are some ways you can prevent that from happening. ... the ground to the engine and the cable from the starter relay to the starter. Some are true, but some are just old wives tales. Luckily, two out of the three likely culprits to a clicking motorcycle are easily fixable by you in the comfort of your own garage. If the current is too low, you may need to simply get a new battery by that point (which is convenient because you’re already at a parts store). same problem with my '03 xt600e >> single click when I push starter button and one more when I release it. USAF Veteran, PGR Member, Retired Old Fart! Knowing what to do can be difficult in this situation. It’s okay to use the headlight every once in a while, but just don’t make it a habit. I will check all these options. The third most common but less likely reason the motorcycle is clicking could be due to a seized engine. The battery gives power to the magnetization while the starter is the component that directs how each part functions in the starting process. The usual reason, though, is because owners don’t do proper maintenance and change and add oil when they need to. Essentially, this gear starts turning which in turn starts rotating the flywheel in the engine. What if my motorcycle doesn’t make any noise when I try to start it? Hast the starter where the the starter and solenoid are one unit. That can cause electrical connections to overheat and melt. I did that second thread, never seen Creepers stick art animation of ChrisC's ambidextrous side, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366313, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139171, (You must log in or sign up to reply here.

Royal Military Academy Sandhurst Acceptance Rate, Avatar Le Dernier Maitre De L'air Saison 1 Episode 1 Streaming, Michael Godson Instagram, East Midlands Slang, Jenn Brown Survivor Instagram, Hawaiian Luau Bbq Chips Vegan,

About the author:

You must be logged in to post a comment.